■ SBS Drama “Rooftop Prince” Park Yoochun
One person playing 2 roles, “awkwardly” using modern speech.
His analysis of his role has improved rapidly
And he wants to challenge the role of a mental patient.
His analysis of his role has improved rapidly
And he wants to challenge the role of a mental patient.
Through this drama “Rooftop Prince”, he has gained a lot. He has truly felt the enjoyment in acting, and it is also a comforting project helping him through difficult times.
Park Yoochun, who plays a dual role of Joseon prince Lee Gak and modern day chaebol Yong Tae Yong in the SBS drama “Rooftop Prince,” talks about the story behind the drama in a refreshed manner after the drama ended.
“I was very nervous when shooting first started, and I’m really happy that we made it to episode 20 without any broadcast issues. Especially since I invested even more feelings into this drama than I ever did, and this was a drama whose script had touched me, so it feels great to have ended it smoothly.”
If you say that he did not know anything when he first started acting in “Sungkyunkwan Scandal,” then this is a drama that allowed him to truly understand the joys of acting. With a tight filming schedule, just being able to make each broadcast was a miracle, but the synergy between the actors were better than ever. Even the adlibs that came naturally were accepted into the drama, and having your own ideas blended in made acting even easier.
“In the previous project, the burden from ‘Sungkyunkwan Scandal’ was really great, and it was hard to bear and I even thought about giving up. It was thanks to the people around me that I managed to get through it. For this drama, instead of thinking “I need to do better,” I firstly cleared my emotions, and relaxed so that I could focus on acting without burden.”
There are many aspects of this drama that allows him to prove his true value. To Lee Gak, who uses modern speech in a clumsy manner, speaking English is unimaginably difficult. As he is not used to the words, he pronounces “omurice”(omeuraiseu) as “omooraisoo” and “Ice Bar”(aiseuba) as “aisooba”. His self-created language appears at the later part of the script as well.
Also, he used a pair of spectacles to differentiate between the roles of “Yong Tae Yong” and “Lee Gak.” When wearing glasses, he is Yong Tae Yong and after removing them he is Lee Gak. But in front of Park Ha whom he loves dearly, Yong Tae Yong does not wear glasses as well, as it is Lee Gak himself who wants to get closer to Park Ha.
The person who Park Ha meets has been the source of much discussion, but he says that it is “100% Yong Tae Yong.” In the original script, he shows signs of not being able to recognise Park Ha, but he feels that instead of trying to convey two separate roles, he may be Yong Tae Yong but subtly expresses hints of Lee Gak in his acting as he gazes at Park Ha.
In the kiss scene with Park Ha just before the teary confession, the tears he shed were not purely due to feelings of love. This confession to Park Ha bears the meaning of giving up on Joseon, giving up on the duty of returning to Joseon with his “Rooftop 3-man gang”, and this kind of sadness led to a natural shedding of tears.
“If the way that I thought that I should act is in sync with how the viewers feel, then I am satisfied with this kind of understanding. During then, I felt a great sense of joy.”
Now that he knows “the joys of acting,” there are many other roles that he wants to play. He even wants to try playing the role of a mental patient, a murderer or a criminal. Without the help of make-up, lighting and camera angles, he wants to challenge a role that can drive the whole show with just his acting abilities.
“In the future, I want to try a larger variety of roles. If among those, there are medical dramas, I would like in those as well. As Yong Tae Yong I had to shoot scenes at the hospital, and just (the scenes of) lying in the ward took over 6 hours to film, and I felt for myself how hard it is to film a medical drama. If I can, I would like to try acting in one, haha”
I am ready to be a “DdalBabo”
(T/N: A “DdalBabo” is the abbreviation for DDALman BAra BOda,” which is a parent who only has eyes for his/her daughter)
(T/N: A “DdalBabo” is the abbreviation for DDALman BAra BOda,” which is a parent who only has eyes for his/her daughter)
After meeting child actress Kim So Hyun, who appeared in the drama with him, he thought, “how great would it be to have a sister like that. I must have a daughter like her.”
When he grew up, his wish was to have a “sister.” In fact, his mother had even considered adoption before.
“I’m really too busy, and my mom seems lonely. Actually, she thought hard about it for about 2 years. Looking at children that have been hurt, I supported the idea of adoption because I had similar experiences, but the reason why we didn’t do it was because we were worried that we would be irresponsible. Because I’m too busy, and my occupation and position is not one that allows me to give a lot of love to one person. We did not want to hurt the child further, so we gave up. If I get married, I really want to have a daughter.”








No comments:
Post a Comment